Monday 1 March 2010

Hylian vertigo.

Yeah, I've been playing Oracle of Seasons for too long - talk about feeling dazed and being unable to focus my sight (I was supposed to have napped when I got home, too). Basically feeling like a Boomeranged ChuChu.

(It can't be helped though. I just adore Legend of Zelda :3)


Anyway, can't really nap; don't want to muck about with my sleeping hours again. Sleeping 3 hours and then to be semi-awake for another 3 hours until forced out of bed at 10:30 is not much fun. Guess I could get around to getting into (slightly more) detail about my university choices.

Like I wrote previously, I'm torn between 3 choices and the situation is this: I've received unconditional offers for both the joint honours and the FdA, which means I've received a place at the university (note: University of Derby). Though I never applied for the BSc*, the UCAS application guide booklet tells me the following.
"If you are happy with your choice of university or college but you want to change your choice of course [...] you should write to the university or college direct [...] If the university or college agrees, they will tell us about the change. If you have already received an offer from the university or college for your original choice, we will cancel it and the new offer will show on Track."
So, before I call the admissions office I need to have decided that I want to go for the BSc since my other offers will be cancelled. But what to decide?
Hospitality & Spa Therapies (Joint honours)
Pros: More variety in skills means I can look for work outside the spa industry and keep my options open; Hospitality seems like a fun thing to study.
Cons: Not getting the most out of my spa studies; will possibly have a harder time getting work or promotions in either field because it's a more all-round degree, especially in the hospitality industry

Spa (Management pathway) FdA
Pros: Feels like a more practical, hands-on (read: easier xD) management education than the BSc; skills learnt in this pathway open up career opportunities in self-employment, spa administration thus possibly a fatter pay-check.
Cons: A foundation degree isn't as "good" or impressive as a bachelors; I will only get work placements at the university's spa (I think). Management skills are more transferable than therapy skills.

Spa (Therapies pathway) FdA
Pros: More hands-on and I get to learn more about the actual therapies, which is what I'm interested in.
Cons: Harder work and less pay than management work. Possibly harder to find work. Less opportunity for promotion and self-employment. Focused skills means they aren't as transferable, thus narrowing job field.

International Spa Management (BSc)
Pros: Most prestigious of the 3 (4) options. Most job opportunities, will definitely define my career path for the next 6 years at least.
Cons: Will basically lock me into a career that I may or may not like; might not be able to handle the pressure of the course (optional 4th year international work placement, HELLA NERVE-WRECKING)

Needless to say, I'm procrastinating.



* Don't ask me why. Not sure what reasoning I had at the time, but it was probably deduced from a delusional state of mind caused by stress from the impending UCAS application deadline.

3 comments:

  1. Hey,
    I am writing as I am a second year student studying BSc International SPA management at University of Derby.
    I would just like to tell you about my own experience and comment on your choices.
    A bit about my background: I wasn't a qualified therapist at the time when I started my course, I came to university straight after my A levels.
    I really do enjoy my course as it involves so many different things and gives knowledge about different aspects of spa. We do have different modules such as Human Biological Sciences, Massage techniques, Finances, Marketing, Research Methods, Managing People, Balances Nutrition and Spa Cuisine and others.
    I would say that studying BSc provides you with wider chances when looking for a job as you will not be only qualified as a therapist but will be doing also many management modules.
    This course is definitely challenging, but at the same time it is worth doing it.
    While doing any of the spa courses you will be doing commercial sessions at the university's spa. While doing the commercial sessions you will be doing spa tours, will work as a spa host, will work at the reception as well as will be doing treatments. During your second year you will be able to manage the sessions yourself as well that is a very good experience I would say. While doing commercial sessions you will improve your therapy skills, communication skills, team working skills, will be retailing as well.
    Furthermore I would really suggest doing BSc instead of Foundation Degree as a Bachelor is better acknowledged than the Foundation Degree is.
    Talking about the placement year – it is optional so you can decide whether you want to do it or not. I would say that I find it as a very good experience that could really develop the skills you have learnt in practice. Furthermore it also gives an idea of how spas are being managed in other countries as well as gives the chance to experience and learn different other treatments.
    I would really advice you contacting Admissions if you already have not. They are really friendly and would be happy to give you an advice. Their number is: 01332597724 and e-mail: askadmissions@derby.ac.uk
    Hope it helps! If you have any other questions you are welcome to ask!
    Evita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for the fourth Jules, but in the end your degree does not dictate what you will be doing in life! Remember that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Evita - Thank you so much for your comment! Definitely needed all that information and I'm glad you took the time to write it all up for me :D I decided to go for the BSc so I will hopefully see you in September!

    @Shaun - I know~ ^^

    ReplyDelete